Nursing Topic 3 Discussion 2 Four Cardiovascular Conditions Please respond with a paragraph to the following post, add citations and references:
What nursing intervention are appropriate for Mrs. J at the time of her admission?
* Begin with H&P questions and obtain vital signs
* Administer O2 with low sats
* Assess lung sounds and for areas of congestion
* Obtain EKG
* Order initial lab tests (CBC, BMP, BNP and NT-pro BNP, urinalysis and electrolytes)
* Manage patient anxiety
What is the Rational for administration of medications?
1. IV furosemide (Lasix)
* Increases renal excretion of water, sodium, chloride, magnesium, potassium and calcium*
* Loop diuretic that inhibits absorption of sodium and chloride ions
* Reduces extravascular volume by inducing diuresis and decrease preload and work of heart. Decreases edema, pleural effusion and possibly blood pressure (Drug Guide.com, 2018).
2. Enalapril (Vasotec)
* Angiotensin II is a neurohormone, or chemical messenger, which helps control the cardiovascular system.
* Antihypertensive which causes vasodilation of peripheral vessels decreasing afterload resistance and effective in heart failure.
* ACE inhibitors, like enalapril, block angiotensin I from being converted to angiotensin II, which essentially allows the blood vessels to relax and expand leading to lower blood pressure
* The use of ACE inhibitors will increase potassium levels in the blood and positively offset the use of Lasix (Drug Guide.com,2018)
3. Metoprolol (Lopressor)
* Treats high blood pressure, chest pain (angina), and heart failure.
* Relaxes blood vessels and slowing heart rate, which improves blood flow and lower blood pressure.
* Beta blockers (Metoprolol) blocks these beta-1 receptors from allowing the attachment of hormones so that the autonomic response system does not illicit responses of increased heart rate, pumping force and blood pressure.
* Blocks the beta cells and controls heart rate, decreased pumping action, and decreased blood pressure.
4. IV Morphine Sulphate (Opioid)
* Reduces anxiety and decreases work load of breathing
* Decreased sympathetic nervous system response
* Morphine can cause relaxation of arterial and venous dilation
* Decreased filling pressures
Describe four cardiovascular conditions that may lead to heart failure and what can be done in the form of medical/nursing interventions to prevent the development of heart failure in each condition.
Coronary artery disease and heart attack. Coronary artery disease is the most common form of heart disease and the most common cause of heart failure. The disease results from the buildup of fatty deposits (plaque) in your arteries, which reduce blood flow and can lead to heart attack.
High blood pressure (hypertension). If your blood pressure is high, your heart must work harder than it should to circulate blood throughout your body. Over time, this extra exertion can make your heart muscle too stiff or too weak to effectively pump blood.
Faulty heart valves. The valves of your heart keep blood flowing in the proper direction through the heart. A damaged valve due to a heart defect, coronary artery disease or heart infection forces your heart to work harder, which can weaken it over time.
Diabetes. High blood sugar can damage inside walls of heart muscle. A fatty substance called plaque can begin to collect in arteries and slows down blood flow. This means the heart must work harder to get oxygen and blood flow to areas of the body. Also increases risk of arteriosclerosis (Web MD, 2017).
Nursing interventions to prevent development of heart failure in each condition
Initiate lifestyle changes to reduce CAD such as diet, exercise, reduce stress levels and quit smoking.
Interventions to manage hypertension are lose extra weight, monitor blood pressure, exercise at least 30 minutes daily, eat a healthy diet and reduce sodium.
Interventions to manage Diabetes are managing weight, physical activity, control blood glucose levels, healthy eating and know your A1C scores (Web MD, 2017).
Measures to help prevent endocarditis include having regular dental checkups and performing good oral hygiene such as flossing and brushing (mayoclinic.org, 2017).
Four nursing interventions that can help prevent these problems:
1. Review list of prescribed medications with patient and family. Educate patient on why medication has been ordered and discuss dosage and frequency. Keep log of time and frequency of medication and contact information for refill.
2. Teach patient about side effects of medication and what to do if they experience severe problems. Discuss any dietary restrictions with medications.
3. Patients should bring a list of their medications to each medical appointment. This helps physicians and patients stay on the same page about which medications the patient is taking and eliminate confusion regarding discontinued ones.
4. Remind patients to make notes regarding any side effects when starting a new medication and to notify physician with any problems. Physicians can determine if the side effects are normal or if a new medication should be ordered.
Drug Guide.com, (2018). Furosemide, Enalapril, Metoprolol, Morphine Sulphate. Retrieved from https://www.drugguide.com/ddo/view/Davis-Drug-Guid… March 10, 2019
Mayo clinic (2017). Heart Failure symptoms and causes. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-failure/symptoms-causes/syc-20373142March 11, 2019
Web MD, (2017). What does Diabetes do to your heart disease? Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/diabetes-link… March 11, 2019
Our Unique Features
Custom Papers Means Custom Papers
This is what custom writing means to us: Your essay starts from scratch. Plagiarism is unacceptable. We demand the originality of our academic essay writers and they only deliver authentic and original papers. 100% guaranteed! If your final version is not as expected, we will revise it immediately.
Qualified and Experienced Essay Writers
Our team consists of carefully selected writers with in-depth expertise. Each writer in our team is selected based on their writing skills and experience. Each team member is able to provide plagiarism-free, authentic and high-quality content within a short turnaround time.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Assuarance
We understand you. Spending your hard earned money on a writing service is a big deal. It is a big investment and it is difficult to make the decision. That is why we support our claims with guarantees. We want you to be reassured as soon as you place your order. Here are our guarantees: Your deadlines are important to us. When ordering, please note that delivery will take place no later than the expiry date.
100% Originality & Confidentiality
Every paper we write for every order is 100% original. To support this, we would be happy to provide you with a plagiarism analysis report on request.We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
We help students, business professionals and job seekers around the world in multiple time zones. We also understand that students often keep crazy schedules. No problem. We are there for you around the clock. If you need help at any time, please contact us. An agent is always available for you.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our services are second to none. Every time you place an order, you get a personal and original paper of the highest quality.
While a college paper is the most common order we receive, we want you to understand that we have college writers for virtually everything, including: High school and college essays Papers, book reviews, case studies, lab reports, tests All graduate level projects, including theses and dissertations Admissions and scholarship essays Resumes and CV’s Web content, copywriting, blogs, articles Business writing – reports, marketing material, white papers Research and data collection/analysis of any type.
Any Kind of Essay Writing!
Whether you are a high school student struggling with writing five-paragraph essays, an undergraduate management student stressing over a research paper, or a graduate student in the middle of a thesis or dissertation, homeworkmarketpro.com has a writer for you. We can also provide admissions or scholarship essays, a resume or CV, as well as web content or articles. Writing an essay for college admission takes a certain kind of writer. They have to be knowledgeable about your subject and be able to grasp the purpose of the essay.
Quality Check and Editing Support
Every paper is subject to a strict editorial and revision process. This is to ensure that your document is complete and accurate and that all of your instructions have been followed carefully including creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
Prices and Discounts
We are happy to say that we offer some of the most competitive prices in this industry. Since many of our customers are students, job seekers and small entrepreneurs, we know that money is a problem. Therefore, you will find better prices with us compared to writing services of this calibre.